Managed by La Fédération de la jeunesse canadienne-française, Languages at Work is a joint initiative of the Explore program and Young Canada Works in Both Official Languages.
Designed for Explore bursary recipients, Languages at Work offers them unique opportunities to continue learning their second language in a professional context.
Following the completion of the Explore program, the bursary recipient could have the opportunity to stay in their host region for job placements ranging from 3 to 8 weeks!
- Provide meaningful summer employment opportunities to Explore bursary recipients;
- Provide participants with the opportunity to increase their knowledge and appreciation of their second language while discovering a new region of the country.
- From 16 to 30 years old (high school students aged 16 to 17 can apply for the program with a written permission from their parents);
- Have Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status;
- Be an Explore bursary recipient;
- Available to work after the Explore program session;
- Interested in working in your second language.
- Must offer a meaningful work experience;
- Must hire a young student from another part of Canada who is already in the Explore program;
- Must offer guidance and orientation;
- For placements of six to eight weeks, must be able to pay the student’s salary and the wage increase before receiving the YCW contribution.
What the program offers
- Six to eight weeks of work (for the spring Explore program) or three weeks of work (for the summer Explore program) – or an equivalent number of hours;Salary = the province’s minimum wage plus $1/hr;
- Wage increase: the employer must add $1.35/hr to the salary; this expense will be reimbursed at 100% by the delivery organization;
- A minimum of 35 hours of work per week (over 35 hours, or in the case of a contract extension with the student, the employee’s salary must be covered by the employer).